Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Still Here

Sorry for delay in posting. Off on a little business trip. Went to train someone. Got on the plane at o'dark thirty in the AM to get to my destination early in the morning and guess what? During my 1 hour lay over, I got a message that my person had decided not to take the job after all.

There I was at 8:30 AM in the Chicago O'Hare airport, on my way to do nothing. I just spent a ton of time and a ton of money re-arranging my plans to get to that location, right in the middle of preparing for a big presentation to the new board and this person, at the last minute, decides to cancel.

I just want to know why she didn't decide that at 5:30pm the day before and call the branch manager instead of waking up and calling at 7:30 AM (when I was already going for the plane) to call and say it?

People are rude and inconsiderate. She probably has no idea that I had to get up while the moon was still high in the sky and drive to the airport. Probably doesn't really care. Doesn't know that I had a filling fall out and needed to go see the dentist, but put it off just so I could be here the first week of her employment to do the training. Doesn't care that I spent the night in a hotel room that, even as a smoker, smelled so smokey I thought I was sleeping at a bar. Doesn't know and doesn't care that the shower this morning only put out luke warm water, no matter how high or how long I ran the water and, when I turned the hotwater handle all the way up where it actually did become slightly warmer than luke warm, the water pressure would drop down to nil. Doesn't know or doesn't care that I had the Beverly Hillbillies, all ten of them, sharing the room next door or, at least, all watching a movie until midnight (after I'd been awake since 3:30 AM the night before) who would, during commercial breaks or after taking infrequent dips in the indoor pool and returning to the room, would suddenly break into loud conversation and bang stuff around.

All I have to say is, what a pain in the a$$!

The worst part? I had to reschedule my manicure. Any idea what it's like to try and re-schedule an appointment with your hairstylist or manicurist when they are one of the best in town?


The only good part about it is that I had a decent meal last and a few laughs with the branch manager here. I also got to see a few employees who I hadn't seen for a few months.

Now, I'm trying to get a flight back to KC tonight so I can at least watch the St Patrick's day parade tomorrow.


Brian H said...

This window took so long to open I forgot which site it was for. Blogger sucks!

Jamie said...

So its Blogger that is at fault? And I thought it was just my PC that was slow!

I can sympathize with you about your hotel stay. I once had to try to go to sleep to the sounds of "Karaoke Night" from the bar. My room was on the first floor - directly across from the hotel bar.

But I just wanted to point you to an interesting "Terry Shiavo" column in NRO today. In it is some information about the star medical witness for Michael Schiavo, Dr. Ronald Cranford:

--Dr. Ronald Cranford is one of the most outspoken advocates of the “right to die” movement and of physician-assisted suicide in the U.S. today.

In published articles, including a 1997 op-ed in the Minneapolis–St. Paul Star Tribune, he has advocated the starvation of Alzheimer’s patients. He has described PVS patients as indistinguishable from other forms of animal life. He has said that PVS patients and others with brain impairment lack personhood and should have no constitutional rights.--