Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Purple Finger of Freedom


The purple finger of freedom. If you can, color your right finger purple today in soldarity with the people of Iraq. The sign of liberty. I was at the brothers blog Iraq the Model and a new commenter from Iraq posted these words:

This is the first thing I do something for my country I live in Jordan, I hope I was voting in Iraq but neverless all my family voted in iraq even my grand mother 85 old voted there.

Thanks to all Iraqi brave soldirs and USA soldires and administration ....... USA Guys You Promissed us and you make it REAL.
Raid Mohammed


Now...if that doesn't make you cry, I don't know what will. You'd have to be a hard hearted human, or at least Ted Kennedy, not to appreciate that. The brothers went on to say these things:

How can I describe it!? Take my eyes and look through them my friends, you have supported the day of Iraq's freedom and today, Iraqis have proven that they're not going to disappoint their country or their friends.

Is there a bigger victory than this? I believe not.

I still recall the first group of comments that came to this blog 14 months ago when many of the readers asked "The Model?"… "Model for what?"
Take a look today to meet the model of courage and human desire to achieve freedom; people walking across the fire to cast their votes.

Could any model match this one!? Could any bravery match the Iraqis'!?
Let the remaining tyrants of the world learn the lesson from this day.(...)
I walked forward to my station, cast my vote and then headed to the box, where I wanted to stand as long as I could, then I moved to mark my finger with ink, I dipped it deep as if I was poking the eyes of all the world's tyrants.
I put the paper in the box and with it, there were tears that I couldn't hold; I was trembling with joy and I felt like I wanted to hug the box but the supervisor smiled at me and said "brother, would you please move ahead, the people are waiting for their turn".

Yes brothers, proceed and fill the box!
These are stories that will be written on the brightest pages of history.


Make sure you go and read the rest.
 Posted by Hello

8 comments:

Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files said...

It's a bad day for the terrorists and their friends in the MSM.

Peter Jennings is probably having convulsions as we speak.

Kat said...

Yeah...it already started. I hear them saying, "What does this mean?" Like, Duh! What the hell does it mean? First and fore most, today it means freedom and the will of the people standing up to the tyrants and terrorists. Does it have to mean more? Yes, tomorrow. But today, that is all that it means.

Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files said...

It's the babbling of player-haters and losers. They can't stand to see anything succeed that they didn't launch.

Kathy K said...

I commented at another blog today that we should all take up a collection and have a Statue of Liberty made and shipped to Iraq.
But she won't need a torch. Just a finger held high.

Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files said...

BW, our Statue of Liberty came from France, and now the French have forgotten all about that first word, "Liberty", in their national motto of "Liberty, Equality, Brotherhood".

Call me supersticious, but I think it might jinx us if we did "for Iraq" what France did "for us", statue-wise, or otherwise. Next thing you know Iraq would do something to defend themselves against terrorists and we'd fly off the handle and call them "irresponsible cowboys" for it. Worse yet, we'd start eating Brie, and nobody should have to do that.

Kat said...

Ciggy...I must admit to my ever lasting shame that I actually enjoy brie (made in the US), wine (from california) and fruit (from Florida and california). nothing wrong with taking somebody else's cultural aspects and making them purely american.

However, I can assure you, as all of these things were made in America and enjoyed by an American, I have made them American and I will not be saying "Oui" any time soon and I will not be letting down the Iraqis.

I think we should someday share something great with the Iraqis. Today, however, I believe that I will be looking for something a little more necessary, like a good doctor friend of ours that needs some supplies over there and I am going to figure out how to get it.

STay tuned for info on how we can participate directly in the healing of Iraq.

Anonymous said...

I thought I would never say this:

Aasha al-Iraq! Brave among the brave, light of the Umma, blessed of Allah!

Thank you, George W. Bush. For making me cry again.

These finger photos brought great memories, because I was a polling-station official in the 2000 Mexican elections, when the PRI finally lost after 70 years. I remember the great wonder of freedom, and the pride that went with these fingers.

The Mexican system (including indelible ink) was selected by the coalition authorities and the interim government for these elections, and a Mexican team of former electoral officials (including Alonso Lujambio, an ex-professor of mine) flew to Iraq and braved the worst Fascism threw at them to set it up.

I'm glad we could help this time.

Hans Averdung
Mexico City

Kat said...

Hans...I didn't think we'd ever be saying it either.

Thank you for stopping by and thank all of the brave folks from Mexico that helped make it a reality. This was truly a triumph of all the people of democracies around the world.

A'ash Al Iraq.