Saturday, April 22, 2006

Dispatch from Iraq: A tiny bit of comfort

A soldier sees and feels a wider variety of sights and emotions in a year than most people will experience in a lifetime. ...

In my short time in the military I have experienced more suffering than I could have imagined before joining up. I have held the hand of a dying Marine who had only one last wish: that someone would be with him and hold his hand as he passed on. So I sat there with a strange man, holding his hand, not saying a word, until he died. ...[snip]

On one of those days in Iraq where I wasn't sure if I'd see my daughter again, I was working at a checkpoint near a small camp in the desert. ... The locals would gather around our checkpoints to try to sell us things, beg for food or water, or just hang around the soldiers.

On this particular day one of the locals had his little girl with him. She was shyly watching me from behind his legs. When I smiled and waved at her, she brazenly ran up to me with a big smile and held out her arms, expecting to be picked up. At first I was shocked at her sudden bravery, and it took me a second to reach down and pick her up. When I did, she immediately kissed me on my cheek and then nestled in as if she meant to stay a while.


You've got to click the link to find out why she did it. It's a legit story in a legit Seattle Newspaper (don't laugh).

(Warning: Tissues are required)

Dispatch from Iraq: A tiny bit of comfort

1 comment:

leap_frog said...

Thanks Kat, I need to read these more often. It's good for the soul to hear the real reasons and why it's so important,.