Thursday, June 07, 2007

Letters From the Front - Thank You For Your Support

This video is from local KC Angels who read letters and told stories about the wonderful responses they received full of gratitude for the support they have given to our troops all around the world.



I wish that I could reach more people with our website and within our community. I wish they could see the requests that come into Soldiers' Angels. Many of them are not for the soldier writing the request. They are often writing for others that they serve with who get no support.

In Amy's Alerts, I read a message:

dear angel, my unit is assigned to a MiTT team, and we live apart from our parent unit. the augmentees that i lead are forced to only use a small room, with a broken couch to have their down time, aside from their personal computers. We love to recieve mail, but working day in and day out in such close proximity to the iraqi army, only allows us limited opportunities to go to our parent unit and recieve our mail...we just love the mail and the goodies we sometimes recieve from home. any good tidings our way is greatly recieved. i think this operation you guys have going here is also very awesome. i hope we can find a great angel and communicate with them to regain a little of that sense of home.


I am Not a soldier but A SGT in the US Army this is my third deployment here in I raq since the war started. I have a lot of soldiers who like myself on my first tour will never see mail or even a package. I just wanted them to know that there are people who care.


A lot of care packages get sent to Afghanistan and reach Bagram or Kabul but few make it downrange to the FOBs. I'm on Camp Stone and have been here over a month and have not seen one package come in for any of the soldiers here. We don't have an AAFES store here so comforts are limited. Things like Tang powder, kool aid w/sugar/ crackers, chips, ect. would be greatly appreciated.


Even with 90,000 Angels, the number of soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines that are without support is staggering. So many Angels try to support as many as they can, including "unofficial" adoptees who aren't signed up, but may have been referred by a friend or family member. The over 140k men and women in Iraq and 20k in Afghanistan are only those who are there now. Many have been deployed and returned. Some with physical and mental health issues. There are many wounded, like those we were hoping to support with Operation Aces High.

I wish people could see and hear the gratitude that these men and women return for something as little as a letter with an uplifting scripture on the envelope. That was the recent humble request of a soldier. There are so many like him.

DEAR ANGELS

I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU ARE DOING, YOU MADE A DIFFERENCE TO ME THIS WEEK AS I RECEIVED FOUR LETTERS OF SUPPORT AT A TIME WHEN I REALLY NEEDED TO KNOW THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE CARES ABOUT US...

THEN WE GET LETTERS FROM OUR ANGELS, I CANT TELL YOU HOW UPLIFTING IT IS TO GET A LETTER FROM A STRANGER WHO IS SO POSITIVE TOWARDS US SOLDIERS, THESE ARE THE KIND OF PEOPLE WHO COME UP TO US IN AIRPORTS AND JUST SAY THANK YOU, SHAKE YOUR HAND AND SMILE, IM ALWAYS LEFT IN TOTAL AWE WHEN THIS HAPPENS, IT LEAVES ME TOTALLY HUMBLED.


I got 25 letters today, and a package from Tammy C. I got some letters from a 7th grade class and a 5th grade class. I am riting them all back individually, so that could take a while LOL

I just wanted all the Angels to know how much I appreciate what they have done for me. You know what a tou[gh] time I had coming back here, but there letters really have made a difference!!! Please let them know, they really do make a difference for us over here, even if they never hear back from the person they [w]rite to, the[ir] letter that day may have been just what the soldier needed to go on for the next day. I know when I have not been able to talk to you which has hardly been at all this last month that the letters I get in the mail have lifted my spirits a lot.

There are days that I mite not get any, but I know that I have alot of angels out there thinking of me and praying for me. Please honey tell them that we need them to help keep us going. It's not easy over here and we are constantly reminded that most of these people don't want us here, but to know that we have so many people back home that support us, that care about how we are doing and want to help take care of us is
an awesome thing."


Dear Terri,

Thank you for the care packages. It was a very welcome suprise for my platoon and I. We had just returned from a 3 week mission and found the care packages sitting on our bunks.

I wanted to let you know that it was better than Christmas morning. One item in particular really hit home for us. It was the skittles that you sent. You see, we have been out on assignment for over three weeks and have seen nothing but dirt, sand and barren hillsides. After awhile everything seems to look the same. So, when we dug into the care packages and saw all the bright colors of the skittles candies, it really made our day and reminded us that someone at home cares about us.

Thank you for everything you are doing for me and my troops. We really, really appreciate your support.

Sincerely,

Josh


Even the smallest among us can make a difference.

My 5yr. old and I were at McDonald's with my mom today. I was talking to mom about how I was going to save my Ketchup packages for my soldier and if she wasn't going to use the rest of hers I would take them too. My 5 yr. old grabbed her happy meal bag and said I'll be right back. I thought she was taking it to the trash. I wish! I then watched her go to every table saying she needed everyone's extra ketchup for her soldier she adopted in Iraq. I could've died and burst with pride at the same time. I explained to my nearest neighbors about SA and what we had done. They said that was sweet and wanted the website addy. Rebekah proudly came back with a half a bag of ketchup. Sure hope my soldier is hungry LOL
Kim


We can help them with their mission which means they come home that much quicker:

Sara,

As always, really nice to hear from you. Thanks for the note and also the packages sent in support of these poor children. The toys and candy for the local children will be vital for our connection with them. I don't mind you sharing any of the notes that I send you. I want people to know that you and your Angle Baker friends have had such an amazing impact on my men and me.

Thanks and I hope this finds you well.

Sonny


And, they remember our support for a very long time.

I was walking around in Sunnyvale at the art and wine festival and just had to stop in on the marine booth. (no other branches were there). Well after I introduced myself tot he marine he asked me to thank ALL of you wonderful angels. His name is Ray and he received a few packages while he was in Iraq. On his behalf, thank you all!


I have sent letters and care packages. I have marched in parades. I have attended welcome home parties and I have been to the funerals. It amazes me that I have done so little to earn their service and I am humbled when the smallest thing is treated as the grandest treasure.

Daily, I see requests to Soldiers' Angels like those above. I read the letters of gratitude. I read the names on the list of missions at the PGR. They are almost all young and they come from every place in the United States. They serve and they sacrifice, their very bodies, minds and sometimes their lives.

They are ours and I hope that you will see them as ours: our families, our friends, our neighbors and ours to support.

I ask you to remember our men and women and join Soldiers' Angels in supporting them.

Until they all come home.



- May no soldier go unloved

No comments: